Random Thoughts from a Spoiled Whiner

Thursday, June 28, 2007

Rancid Milk!!

Some of you may remember my irritation with a particular cafeteria and its milk. Before, I was bitter about the poor signs regarding the price of said milk. This time.....way worse.

Again, I decide I'm in the mood to have some cereal as I partake in morning coffee with my coworkers. The milk dispensing machine with two options "whole milk" and "2% Milk" wasn't working. Therefore, I went to the milk dispenser that is meant for coffee. It has 4 smaller dispensers within it for half & half, 2% milk, whole milk, and skim milk. I poured some 2% milk on my cereal and went outside to sit on the patio with my coworkers.

I take the first bite and realize I accidentally picked out regular Cheerios instead of Honey-Nut Cheerios. That irked me.

I took a couple more bites. Still didn't taste right. By that third bite I was sensing a sour taste. By the fourth one, I spit it out and confirmed it. I smelled my bowl of cereal. Something was awry.

I took a spoonful of the milk and tried to get one of my coworkers, the chef, to smell it. I figured if someone would know if milk is bad, it would be a professional chef. He wouldn't do it.

I turned to the maintenance man, he dipped his pinky into the milk on the spoon, tasted it, and said, "Yep. It's bad."

Needless to say. I was not happy. They thought I was bad when they overcharged me for milk, let's see what they think when THEY SELL ME RANCID, SOUR MILK!!!!!!!

I did have composure and was not completely nasty. But I went to the cashier lady, and instead of telling her to get the blind, inconsiderate manager/owner for me to speak with, I flat out told her that she sold me cereal with rancid milk and I'm going to throw it away and get something else in exchange. I didn't waste my time asking.

By the time I got my eggs and ham from the short order grill, I realized that my profanity and irritation for this sad excuse for a new, state-of-the-art cafeteria was sinking in. Luckily, the short order cook likes me and actually apologized for my experience.

Speaking of which, when I told the young lady at the cash register about the milk (by the way, before she started ringing people up, she was the one changing the milk in the milk dispensing machines) that the milk was rancid, she actually winced a bit of a smile. That "Oh that sucks, but it's kind of funny" smile. Not to mention, she DIDN'T apologize for providing me with spoiled milk.

After my mind wrapped around my irritation while at the grill area, I went back to the cashier, who was currently preparing coffee, and told her I was going to have my food for free (versus paying the difference from what I paid earlier). I didn't give her the option to say no. She agreed.

As I sat down, I realized I still paid for my food, in a sense, since I didn't get my money back, but I didn't pay much. And the cereal was cheaper than what I ended up with.

Since this cafeteria is the closest food to work, I'm not completely at the point of boycotting entirely. But I've now limited myself to the short order grill, where I watch my food being prepared in front of me or the prepackaged food that is shipped into the cafeteria.

*mutters* Stupid rancid milk...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home